Wednesday, January 05, 2005

What I want to be when I grow up

The problem is, I don't know what I want to be when I grow up. What I do know is that my resume cannot afford another one-year job-hop while I try to figure that out.

The solution: temping.

So every time I call in to see if there's something available, they try to pressure me into accepting a temp-to-hire position. I ask them to describe the position, and my gut clenches as I envision spending more than a week doing whatever the job consists of. Then I give them some nonsense about the possibility of my husband being transferred at some point in the next year, etcetera, etcetera.

So the itinerary for the immediate future is:

  • I work through Friday at the place I've been for the past 4 months. I was supposed to have finished yesterday, but things were very hectic and we weren't able to accomplish the changeover where I train one of the permanent employees to do what I've been doing. The earliest that we can do it is Friday, so my very cool supervisor is going to find stuff for me to do, rather than hold me in limbo without an assignment (my staffing agency has been waffling about finding something for me) for the next few days. Granted, they're only going to have me there for the 4 hour minimum per day, but it's better than nothing.


  • I start the following Monday at some insurance company or something, doing data entry. It's a dollar less per hour than the current assignment, and it's like 5 times the work. At least it's full time, and I don't have to be there at six-fucking-thirty-in-the-morning. I do have to be there at eight-in-the-fucking-morning, but that's a lot more reasonable. The assignment is supposed to last one to three weeks, but the placement dude said that it may go for a month or two. (So why not say it lasts anywhere from one week to a couple of months? Feh.) The dress is casual, but I own mostly office style stuff anyway.

So, instead of sitting at work and twiddling my fingers with nothing to do (as I did at this time of day every day for the last four months), I'm doing so at home. I'll start getting ready for work in an hour, and after that, I'll go out and remove several pounds of snow from my car. Then I'll get to work and sit there and wait for them to come up with tasks for me to do. I'll probably write something at All Write, Already!, and maybe I'll play a game or two of Settlers of Catan, and possibly read a couple of chapters of my Dragonlance novel, "Dragons of Somethingorother." Then I'll twiddle my thumbs.

0 Comments:


Post a Comment

<< Home