Sunday, January 09, 2005

Bumper stickers

I have decided that I'm going to go ahead and put bumper stickers on my new car. I'm still that kind of person. I am fairly sure I will be that kind of person for at least the next handful of years. If I change my mind, it's nothing that careful removal with hot soapy water can't fix.

There are a few kinds of bumper stickers I will avoid:

Sayings that begin with either of the words "I" or "My": So, who's saying "I hate mondays"? Is that the driver, or the car? Is the car's child an honor student?

Political stickers: I do not need any small minded people who disgree with my views to key my car.

Patriotic bumper stickers: It's not that I don't love this country, it's just that I don't feel compelled to conform to this expectation that people seem to have that I want to state it with my car. These people might as well all have stickers that say "Bandwagon Patriot since 9/11/01!"

Anti-cop stickers: As funny as "Bad cop! No donut!" may be, it's also certain to get you pulled over for going one mile over the speed limit.

So what kind of stickers will I put on my car? Primarily geeky stuff. My car is turning out to be an ultimate geekmobile even without bumper stickers, and I see no reason not to continue the trend. So far I have the Strong Bad and MST3K clings in the window, I have fuzzy D20's hanging from the rear-view mirror, I have an order in for a Starfleet Academy window sticker strip for the rear window, and my STRNGBD license plates will be ready at the DMV in about a week. I've also been drilling through some dice with my Dremel so I can make Mardi Gras style necklaces to also hang from the rear-view mirror, in imitation of the girly-girls who proudly display the ones that they may or may not have earned in front of Girls Gone Wild camera crews.

3 Comments:


Commercial patriotism needs to go. I don't like when businesses make their products patriotic just to make a buck off people's guilt. Oh, I guess I should buy the bananas with the flag stickers, shouldn't I?

Why stop at the bumper? I have a friend who decked out her whole car in stickers - the "Sticker-mobile," we called it. Of course, it was a pretty shitty car to begin with, and hopefully that's not your situation.

 
posted by Blogger Dan @ 1/11/2005 9:21 PM

my car got keyed on three sides. i have a feeling it was because of my anti-Bush stickers. makes me wonder what repooplicans are thinking when they do stuff like that. "i'll get him to see the light...i'll key his car!"

the mind boggles.

 
posted by Anonymous Anonymous @ 7/22/2005 10:56 PM

Fuzzy D20? You get fuzzy D20? I want! Now! *stamp foot*

 
posted by Anonymous Anonymous @ 8/02/2005 9:31 AM

Post a Comment

<< Home