Thursday, June 23, 2005

Anniversary

Michael and I are coming up on the 2nd anniversary of our first date. For most married couples, continuing to celebrate the anniversary of the first date is a bit silly. However, I think that July 2 is possibly a more important anniversary than our October 23 wedding anniversary.

For one thing, we didn't do the whole church-candles-flowers-cake-champagne-photos hullabaloo that most people do. My mother, my sister, and the judge's wife were the only ones present who were not direct participants (though mom and sis were our witnesses). Then we went to a nice restaurant afterwards. It was certainly a huge milestone in my relationship with Michael, but not much was changed because of it.

Our first date, however... that was life-changing. Michael and I fell in love that day. I knew then and there that my plans for moving back to Ohio were no longer going to be carried out. That's huge. That was the day that we gambled and won. That's something worth celebrating!

True, now that we're married, Michael and I put more effort into the long-term stuff that unmarried couples might neglect. While I am glad of that, I still don't think it's as much a cause for yearly celebration as is that day when we found that we struck sparks from one another.

For these reasons, I am looking forward to our planned anniversary event of bringing home live lobsters and cooking them on the 2nd. I've also purchased a present for Michael, which I think he will very much enjoy. (I'll tell you what it is later, in case Michael reads this before then.) I will tell Michael that I expect some sort of token gift on that day, as well.

Of course, we're still celebrating in October, too. I'm greedy.

0 Comments:


Post a Comment

<< Home