Wednesday, June 22, 2005

MMORPG Addiction

My husband and I cancelled our City of Heroes account a few weeks ago. We just weren't playing it anymore. I mean, Michael had fairly rarely played it anyway, but even I was no longer playing for 3-5 hours a day. Sounds like I was making progress in my MMORPG addiction, right? Wrong.

We stopped playing CoH because we became addicted to World of Warcraft. Like with CoH, Michael still plays significantly less than I do, but I play a LOT. WoW makes time die.

I play on the Feathermoon server, which is RP (so there are fewer jerks and gankers, but more faerie-kissing whiners). I started with a Human Rogue named Jessamin, who got to level 17 before I started another character and kicked her to the curb. I sold off all her stuff and sent the gold to my new characters. I now have a level 43 Dwarven(Alliance) Hunter named Amma, a level 27 Human(Alliance) Paladin named Moxxi, and a level 6 or so Troll(Horde) Warrior named Ishka.

Michael recently acquired a new laptop from work that is capable of playing WoW, so we started a second account. This way, Michael and I can play at the same time. We asked Blizzard to allow me to port my characters over to the new account, but they said no. However, they did say that they are considering allowing it at some point in the future because it has been requested by so many other people in our position. So that's why I created Ishka on the new account... so I can play a character when Michael wants to play his level 30 character on the original account.

Moxxi recently earned the rank of Private by playing Battlegrounds, the PVP capture the flag subgame within WoW. The Horde is much better at BG than the Alliance, because so few players roll up (why do we say we're rolling up a character when there are no dice involved? 'Cause we're geeks) Horde characters. Everyone wants a pretty toon instead. So the few Horde BG'ers get lots of practice at the individual and team strategies, and they capture the flag 3 times before Alliance can even iron out who's going to start a raid group. That's another reason why I created Ishka.

But I digress. The point is, I have not escaped my MMORPG addiction. If anything, I have been sucked in even more deeply. Currently, I'm okay with this. We'll see what's what as time goes by.

If you're a fellow addict, drop one of my characters a line, whydontcha?

2 Comments:


Horde is NOT better than Alliance at BG, not by a long shot. You have just had a skewed experience. There are plenty of times when the Alliance side captures the flag 3 times before Horde, especially on servers where Alliance outnumbers Horde by a factor of 2:1, as on most servers. The BG numbers are the same on each team, of course, but Alliance has a larger pool of highly skilled and higher-level players.

 
posted by Anonymous Anonymous @ 6/24/2005 12:24 PM

Larger pool of highly skilled and higher level players? Yes. Also a larger pool of people named Fred. There are just more Alliance players than there are Horde players, by a wide margin.

It's also probable that the Alliance starts getting better after level 50. My experience has been limited to the 20-30 group with Moxxi, and the 40-50 group with Amma. The Alliance was consistently trounced each time, except for 2 times with Moxxi. In those cases, we only won because there were fewer than 5 Horde players and the game shuts down after 5 minutes if no others join in that time. We went all-out offense and managed to gain the flag the one time we needed before the 5 minutes were up. I felt dirty afterward, but you'd better believe I took my 1000 XP.

 
posted by Blogger Jess @ 6/24/2005 4:09 PM

Post a Comment

<< Home